Apple Dilly Cake - It's a dilly of a cake!

Friday, October 15, 2010

Apple Dilly Cake-
Very similar to Carrot Cake in texture and sweetness.  Extremely aromatic.

I have been really excited to get started on my blog project. Fortunately, my parents stopped by and gave me one last ingredient to make this delicious cake - apples!  I also learned that most of this collection of recipes came from my grandma's bridge club.  All the ladies would get together and cut out and share their recipes with each other.  I think this is very nice. My grandma was a very pretty popular party lady back in the day.  She was also a strong Hungarian woman with a wild streak a mile wild and a talent for cooking.  lol.  Knowing this about her, I can completely see her with her lady friends smoking a cigarette and drinking a scotch. 

This recipe came from 1963, and I had some questions about what could be different in the past 45 years.  First of all the recipe calls for flour.  Is my all purpose flour the same as the flour on the recipe card?  That sent me googling - for the first time.  I couldn't exactly find when all purpose flour began being sold. Maybe I was just over reacting and all purpose flour is as old as time.  Maybe the cave men used all purpose flour.  The only thing that I found on google was that there are two types of flour 'bread flour' and 'all purpose flour'. Bread flour is for, as the name suggests, for making breads. It contains a lot of glutten that will make the dough more chewy.  All purpose flour contains more wheat flour. The wheat flour is low in glutten. This makes the dough more light and fluffy.  Alright, good to know. So, I dumped in my 'all purpose flour'.


The second problem I came into is the ingredients for the frosting. It says to make a boiled frosting with egg and apples.  What? Where's the boiling? How the heck do I cook this? What does it mean boiled frosting with egg and apple? I googled- for the second time.  I had no idea how to make real frosting besides cream cheese frosting.  I couldn't find a good boiled frosting recipe that where I had all of the ingredients (some required corn syrup.) I decided to just get the can of vanilla frosting from my cabinet out and add apples to it. LOL. This whole baking thing will require BABY STEPS.  

I thought about the whole frosting thing out. Is it possible that women of the 60's just baked so much that they could make a boiled frosting with just the mention of apples and eggs? Probably. I really wish that I knew how to bake like that. 

On  my last blog post, I added some pictures of the some of the funny and historical papers that I found in my grandmother's collection. I have a really great 'vintage' cigarette ad that was on the back of the recipe at the bottom of this post. If I were in the 1960's I would completely smoke a pack of day just looking at it.


Here is my first recipe! I hope you all enjoy!





Apple Dilly Cake

The cake is very light and fluffy, not to mention extremely aromatic! The recipe calls has an apple cake and a boiled frosting type of frosting. 

Prep Time: 12 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Clean Up Time: 10 minutes

1/2 Cup butter or margerine
1    Cup Sugar
1    Egg, well beaten
1 1/2 Cup sifted flour
1 Tsp. Baking Soda
1/4 Tsp. Nutmeg
1/4 Tsp. Salt
1 Tsp. Cinnamon
1/2 Tsp. Cloves
1/4 Tsp. Nutmeg
1/2 Cup coffee
1 Cup chopped apples
1/2 Cup chopped walnuts
1 Cup chopped raisins





1.  Cream together butter and sugar


2.  Add beaten eggs and blend well
3. Sift together dry ingredients and add to the mixture

4. Add coffee to ingredients

5. Stir in Apples, nuts, and raisins.


6.  Turn into greased and floured 11 x 7 x 1.5" pan.


7. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes. Cool.

8. Frost with boiled frosting recipe mixed with 1 Cup of chopped apples that consists of eggs. (I frosted it with vanilla frosting with chopped apples mixed in.)


Since the cake was only about 1.75" tall i decided to cut it in half and frost it on top of each other. 

The vanilla frosting that I substitued was really sweet.  I think if I were to make it again, that I would learn how to make a boiled frosting recipe. The combo of the sweet baked raisins and sweet vanilla frosting was just a little bit to sweet for my tastes.

I have to say that this cake really reminds of carrot cake.  It has the same texture and consistency. It has the same amount of sweetness that carrot cake has also. 

Every one of these recipes is a little adventure. I think this cigarette ad- from 1963- is great. I really wish I was that lady.


Yummm.... the "cool air softened" taste of Salem. I think I will pick up a pack ---- JK.



Virginia

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

looks good i will try it and maybe try with cream cheese frosting since i like it on carot cake. great post!

Unknown said...

Love your tutorial gave me a laugh I am from that era and don't know what boiled frosting is will check my grandmas recipe book and see if it's there and will post for you if I find it

Anonymous said...

That frosting sounds like it could be what we call American Frosting, or Angel Frosting. I remember trying to make it once with my mum about 40 years ago and not being wildly impressed. A nice soft cheese (mascarpone/phily) and lime frosting would go well with such a sweet cake, just like a carrot cake...

Unknown said...

Boiled frosting is made by pouring a hot sugar syrup into stiffly beaten egg whites. I have the recipe my mom used all the time when I was a kid....long, long ago.

Linda Deal said...

I'd try a light caramel frosting or glaze on this cake.

Post a Comment