Shepard's Pie

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Shepard's Pie
A nice way to dress up your hamburger tonight

Oh man! Another comfort food recipe! What can I say? It's that time of the year where I just want to stay inside where it's nice and warm, and watch the rain pour over the autumn colored leaves.  This recipe has a very rich flavor and is sure to keep you warm and full all evening!

It was quick and simple. The ingredients were very inexpensive, and the end product had a lot of servings- a whole pie worth of servings!!

Alex really wanted to help so I let him decorate the top after it was done. Check out the pictures at the end of the post for the finished Alexander masterpiece.

Shepard's Pie

2 Cups of Mashed Potatoes
1 Lb Ground Beef
2 Cans of vegetables- your choice
1 pkt of brown gravy

Heat oven to 375 degrees.

1. Brown meat in pan. 

2. Prepare packet of brown gravy as recommended.

3. Add vegetables and gravy to meat. Mix well.


4. Push mixture into pan.



5.  Cover with Mashed Potatoes. If the mashed potatoes are more creamy rather than stiff, then they will spread over the hamburger mix better. Baked uncovered for 20- 25 minutes.



After it is baked- Enjoy. I was really nervous if my little man would eat this or not, so I put freshly shredded cheddar cheese on the top of it as soon as it came out of the oven.  I also let him decorate it with his toys.  He especially loved the toy part!




We had to really stick the little guy deep in the middle to get him to stand up. He would kind of start leaning, and little man would go ooohhhhh noooo mama!!

I hope you all enjoy!

One Love,

Virginia

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I made this recipe this evening, It was delish! My whole family loved it, but I was wondering if it is supposed to be a little runny. I drained the canned veggies, so Im not sure why it was runny, unless Its meant to be that way with the gravy in it. I have never used gravy in Shepard's Pie before, but it was so good!
Thax for the great recipes,
Harmony

Food From The Heart said...

I'm so glad that your family enjoyed this! Thank you very much for the comment! The meat mixture wasn't very compact, but I would exactly say that it was runny. I used a lean ground beef so there was very little grease in the pan. I noticed that when my husband got home which was later on in the evening that the meat mixture inside was more firm after standing for a couple of hours(when the finished picture was taken).Or maybe there is a sensitive balance of amount of ground meat to gravy to vegetables. I usually get one of the larger 2 lb packages of ground beef and cut it in half, and freeze the other half. Maybe when I cut my package in half (very scientific, lol) I was more on the heavy side of the 1 lb mark. The ingredients looked like the did in step 3. Anyways, thank you very much for making this recipe. I really appreciate you looking at my blog!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for commenting back so soon! I love this blog you have created of your Grandmother's beloved recipes! I cant wait to try more! Its nice to know even then, the best of cooks & house wives cut corners too! Being a busy mom, I always look for something satisfying yet inexpensive. Finally, I found a site where its just that! Keep the goods coming! Ill keep making them and letting you know how much we love em! :~)
Harmony

Post a Comment