Chicken Creole Bake

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Chicken Creole Bake
A more healthful way to get the taste of stuffed peppers

It really tastes quite similar to stuffed peppers, but has the substitute of chicken instead of ground beef. Ground beef is a red meat; and is not only bad for your heart, but is also bad for the environment.  This is a wonderful comfort food. The heart burn alert isn't really bad on this one two. For heart burn, I would give it a 2 out of 5 (1 being the least, 5 being the most heartburn.)
When I finished making this, I realized that this is actually a dish that my mother made all of the time.  The name 'creole' really threw me off a little bit as well as the name 'bake'. 

Chicken Creole Bake

1 lb Chicken breast cubed
1 Envelope onion- mushroom soup
2 1/4 Cup boiling water
1 Can Diced tomato
1 Cup White rice
1 Cup Green pepper

Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Clean Up Time: 10 minutes

Preheat oven to 450.

1. Bake chicken 30 minutes uncovered. Cubed when cooked



2. Reduce heat to 350 degrees. Mix Onion- Mushroom soup with water.


3. In a medium bowl, mix soup base, tomato, rice and green pepper.


4. Combine chicken, and all other ingredients together. Bake covered for 35 minutes.Juice will absorb slightly while it stands.



This was pretty good. It was really a great comfort food. It brought me back to being 5 years old again.  My mom used to make this all the time once it started to get cold outside.  Alex liked it, but he really likes tomatoes. 

Even though this is healthful there are some substitutes that you can make to make it a prime grade A healthy meal.  Here are my suggestions: There is a soup base that contains slightly higher sodium content than I like, but has such a rich flavor. You can substitute this with a low sodium choice. You can also substitute white rice for brown rice. Brown rice is actually a wonderful array of nutrients and vitamins.  White rice is not bad for you, but the nutrients have been bleached out similar to white bread.
I hope you all enjoy. Sorry for this short post I have been feeling a little bit under the weather.

One Love,

Virginia

0 comments:

Post a Comment