Potato Pancakes

Monday, November 29, 2010

Sour Cream Potato Pancakes
Hash Browns With a Kick
Is This Really a "Pancake"?

It's been a really long time since I've had potato pancakes. The last time I can remember having them was when my aunt made them for me in Tennessee about 12 years ago. I really didn't like them then; and to be completely honest, still not to crazy about them now.  However; I am not closed minded, and I gave this a chance since it had been so long.

There is nothing like the smell of greasy fried potato stuck in an apartment. Yum. Yum. Yum.  Ok, not yum, it was pretty gross.  I would first like to say that I am not really a fan of a lot of fried foods beside chicken nuggets. I like a few french fries every now and then, but the taste of greasy nasty grease really gets to me. But let me not be partial, and describe this recipe to you.

The potato pancakes were very creamy inside.  It had a very nice texture, and cooked very well. It really did look pretty on the outside with it being golden brown and crispy.  They were fun to cook.

I hope that those of you that like potato pancakes really try this out for yourselves. I'm sure you will like the, unlike picky me.

Sour Cream Potato Pancakes
(Sour cream makes these pancakes extra light and tangy)

3 Lg. Idaho Potatoes
2 Eggs
1 Small Onion, grated (1/4 Cup)
1 Cup Sour Cream
1/2 Cup All Purpose Flour
1/4 Tsp Baking Powder (not soda)
1 Tsp salt
1/4 Tsp Pepper
Vegetable Oil for frying

Makes about 30 pancakes

1. Cut potatoes and shred into a bowl of cold water.  Drain, then rinse in cold running water.  Squeeze firmly in paper towel to remove as much water as possible. This will keep the potatoes from discoloring.




2.  Beat eggs in a large bowl until frothy.



3.  Add potatoes, onion, sour cream, flour, baking powder, salt and pepper; stir. The mixture will be loose.



4. Heat oil in large skillet. Drop potato mixture by tablespoon into hot oil.



5.  Flatten with spatula to make an even thickness.  Brown one side about 5 minutes and flip. You will be able to tell when one side is done when you see the edges turn golden brown.



6.  Place cooked potato pancakes on paper towel to absorb excess oil.
Serve with apple sauce.



There you have it! Potato pancakes!  It took a little bit of fiddling with the oil temperature on my stove to get the pancakes to cook just right. If it was a little too low, they wouldn't brown. If it was a little too high, it would be too dark. I finally found a spot right between the 7 and 8 on my dial that worked to mass produce these little pancakes.

I hope that you all enjoy!
One Love,

Virginia

0 comments:

Post a Comment