Quick Cornish Pasty - Two Year Old Approved

Friday, October 22, 2010

Quick Cornish Pasties
Two Year Old Approved

I remember when I was a child riding up north and getting pasties.  Pasties are such a great Northern Michigan tradition.  I also remember asking my  mom when we are going to get Paste-tees.  If you know my mom, you know that she is a quiet Christian woman. She would just shake her head and get all upset and tell me, "No, Virginia, past-eees not paste-teees." My poor mother. I guess she should have known back then. Lol. 

I'm starting to see a real pattern in my grandmother's recipes. They seem to be recipes that are short cuts of long recipes. For example this one uses croissant in a tube instead of making the crust yourself. The pumpkin pie was a pumpkin pudding pie with a pre-made crust. I really like this. I do enjoy cooking, but I also don't enjoy cooking anything that will take over 30 minutes of prep time.  I think when I get down to it, more prep time= more clean up time.  And in the spirit of Halloween, boo on clean up time.

This is a really easy version of a pasty recipe. It is simple and VERY delicious. I gave my 2 year old taste- tester half of one for dinner last night, and he ended up wanting seconds. Then he wanted to get into the pasties that I left over for my husband, Rob. If you have young kids, I really do encourage everyone to try this recipe.  The end result is beautiful!  I was really impressed with how beautiful it looked coming out of the oven.

Enjoy!

Quick Cornish Pasties

1/4 Lb ground beef
1/2 Cup diced potato (1 small potato)
1/4 Cup finely diced onion ( half of a very small onion)
1/4 Cup of carrots or half of a small can of carrots
1 Can of Croissants rolls
1 Egg
1 Tbsp of water

Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 15- 20 minutes (mine took 15 minutes)
Clean Up Time: 5 minutes
Oven Temperature 350 degrees

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a skillet on med- high cook beef, diced potato, and finely diced onion.




2. When beef is browned and onions are slightly caramelized,  add carrots. I used canned carrots. I really like using canned carrots because they were easy to chop in the pan with my spatula. They were also very easy to break down into bite size pieces.


3. Add salt and pepper to taste. Adding salt and pepper after the food is done cooking will help lock in the flavor more than if it is used while it is cooking.

4. Open can of croissants. Separate into 4 rectangles. Firmly press perforations to seal.  Flatten slightly on cookie sheet.



5.  Spoon 1/3 of cup of meat on each rectangle to about 1/2 of an inch to one of the edges.



6. In bowl, beat eggs and water together. Brush on the edges of the dough.  Fold dough in half and brush with egg. Fold completely shut.


7. Cut 3 or 4 slits in the top of each pasty. Cook for 15- 20 minutes until golden brown.




If you chose to make a sauce to pour over the top of each pasty; mix together sour cream and horseradish to taste.

I decided not to make a sauce because it really didn't need it. Also, the extra calories in the sour cream don't really sound too appealing to me.

Alex really loved his. He ate it like a sandwich. Kind of like the miners did up north in the 1800's.   I will most definitely add this kid friendly recipe to my normal meal rotations. 

I asked Rob last night what he thinks about coming home and not knowing what he's going to have for dinner next. He said that he doesn't mind it at all (hopefully he's telling the truth.) I have been really into cooking with pesto lately. I can't believe that I lived so long without cooking with it. It is so tasty and full flavored. I also love cooking with fresh garlic cloves.  I love the smell of the minced garlic cooking in the pan. It's so buttery and comforting.  I've been experimenting with a lot with different sauces too. I made this really great Polynesian sauce and cooked it over homemade meatballs.  It was delicious.  Hmm. Hmmm. Hmm.

I hope you all enjoy my food from the heart for today.

One Love,

Virginia



1 comments:

Anonymous said...

you have made us all hungry.

eric
supernova

Post a Comment