Ham and Cheese Casserole

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Ham and Cheese Casserole
Great for dinner. Even better in an omlet. Yum!

I decided to make one of my grandma's recipes for Sunday night dinner. Well, I guess it wasn't much of a Sunday night dinner because my handsome husband was sick. I also had to run and turn in the Red Box movies because my schedule for the day was running a little behind. 

We have been saving a ton of money by eating at home. Thank God for the Meijer sales too! This week they had the 10 for $10 sales, and last week they had the Meijer brand products on sale. Needless to say, I stocked up my cabinets.  I think that with all of the groceries that are in my kitchen right now that I have enough for the next two weeks, lol. 

Recently, I have been doing this great 1 bag 5 dinner program on the Kraft website. It's a great free website that has recipes for 5 days and a list of groceries that you need to buy for the week.  It usually costs about $50- 60 for the 5 days worth of groceries.  This also includes staples like: snacks, milk, egg, and chocolate. 1 bag 5 dinner link

This recipe was really good. Of course, I love to eat so I may be a little biased. I hope you enjoy!

Ham and Cheese Casserole

1 lb of ham, chopped
4 medium pototoes, chopped
1 onion, cut finely
1 tsp of parsley
Salt and pepper to taste
White Sauce (recipe below)
2 Cups of shredded cheddar cheese

Preperation time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1hr
Cool Down Time: 20 minutes
Clean up time: 10 minutes

1. Preheat over to 350 degrees

2. Line bottom of casserole dish with chopped potatoes, next add a layer of onion

3. Add a layer of ham, Repeat layers

4. Top casserole with white sauce (recipe below) and shredded cheddar cheese. I used a cheese sauce that I had made ahead of time, and put in the freezer. My special "eat your veggies" cheese sauce. :)  My little boy helped me out with this step. He also eat some of the shredded cheese off of the top. lol. :p











5. Bake covered for 30 minutes, remove cover and bake an additional 30 minutes

  
6. Allow casserole to stand for 20 minutes so that the sauce thicken. I was kind of disheartened when I took this out of the oven and stuck my spoon in it and everything was runny.  I actually decided to give up on the entire thing and make something else because it was too late already. But after about 20  minutes when the casserole began to cool, the casserole began to get thicker. The cheese on my casserole got a little dark, but it didn't burn. I promise!


White Sauce

3 Tbsp butter
3 Tbsp flour
1 1/2 Cup milk
Salt and pepper to taste

Melt butter in sauce pan; blend in flour.  Stir continuously  as you pour in milk mixture.  Cook until thicken. Add salt and pepper to taste. A lot of the pasta sauce companies also have cheese sauce in a jar. I think that this will work out perfectly. I used my own home made cheese sauce that I made in a vat and froze. 

This one is most definately toddler approved. This was the first thing that he ate on his plate. I really like this alot. I think that I am going to save this and add it to my eggs tomorrow morning. It would also taste good fried a little bit in the pan. Yum ! Yum! 



I have some great desert recipes prepared for this coming week.  You are in for some great sweets! Including pumpkin pie. 


One Love.

- Virginia

0 comments:

Post a Comment