Cheesy Biscuits - 1956

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Cheesy Biscuits - 1956
Easy Cheesy Biscuits
A recipe over 50 years old can't be wrong

I love cheese biscuits. I have loved cheese biscuits every since I first had them at Red Lobster a long time ago.  I would sit there and joyfully eat 3 or 4 biscuits before our meal ever came.  These biscuits have the perfect consistency on the inside- light and fluffy yet at the same time spongy.  The inside is nice and moist, and the outside of the biscuit has the perfect thickness of crust. The cheese flavor is just right so that you can clearly taste it, yet at the same time it is not overpowering.

I got this recipe out of this really cool "Betty Crocker's Bisquick Cook Book."  The date on the book is 1956.  The original recipe is actually for a Cheese Bread; however for my family I think that a biscuit will be a lot easier to eat than a piece of bread.  Also, it was hard for me to imagine eating a loaf of cheese bread. I completely envisioned it as a biscuit because of all my fond memories of the infamous Red Lobster biscuits.  I also chose to make this in a muffin pan because it was a lot easier and less prep and clean up time. (Does this count as conserving water??)  Besides that I followed this recipe exactly as stated in this booklet. 

I really hope that you enjoy this!


Cheese Bread Biscuits - 1956

1 Egg
1 1/2 Cup Milk
3 3/4 Cup Bisquick
3/4 Cup Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese

Prep Time: 5 minutes
Baking Time: 20 minutes
Clean Up Time: 10 minutes

Makes one dozen biscuits

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

1. Blend together: egg, milk, Bisquick, and Cheese




2.  Pour 1/4 Cup of batter into greased muffin pan. Be careful not to overfill each slot,
as the biscuit will be twice the size of the batter. 



3.  Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes until tops of the biscuit are golden brown.
Sprinkle the top with Cheddar Cheese.






There you have it! The cheese bread biscuit! If you would like to make the loaf bread style instead of a muffin/biscuit form, it is really easy.  Instead of the  muffin pan, use a 9 x 5 x 2 1/2" loaf pan. Bake one hour at the same temperature.  The recipe says that if you are serving it cold to cut each slice thinly, but if you are serving it warm, to slice it 1/2" thick. The recipe also recommends to serve the bread warm. 

This biscuit taste great the way it is.  If I were to be adventurous with it, I would add maybe a 1/4 Cup of grated Parmesan cheese. I can also imagine using buttermilk, or a little bit of buttermilk instead of just regular milk.  I think that with the parmesan cheese and a little buttermilk that it might taste pretty dead on with the Red Lobster biscuits.  Also, by an awesome suggest from Debbie, most definately they have a little bit of garlic in them :).

I hope that you all enjoy this recipe. 

One Love,

Virginia

0 comments:

Post a Comment