Macaroni Salad (Topinka's Macaroni Salad) - 1980's

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Macaroni Salad "Topinka's Macaroni Salad"
Macaroni with a slight kick
Bust out your salad with an awesome solo

Everyone has their own version of macaroni salad. There are so many different variations- and if you ask me, they are all delicious!! I guess when you run into a classic recipe like this one, it is easy and enjoyable to change it up a little bit and personalize it.

 As a side note, I recently started taking my mandolin lessons from a new instructor. He wanted me to play a song I knew well, so I played a bluegrass classic, "The Girl I left Behind". I asked him if he played it different, and his response is that everyone plays it different. That when you get to such a classic song, that everyone plays it differently. And that these staple songs are where people put their own style into what they play.  Then I started thinking today, maybe this is that kind of recipes.  Most people who cook know how to make macaroni salad; and most people that make macaroni salad have their own versions. Maybe us as humans, feel a need to express our creativity in that which we find comfort.  I don't know. Maybe that goes too far for my food blog; and I need to stick to my song and recipe. lol.

This recipe is called Topinka's Macaroni Salad.  When I googled it, the powers that be Google said that it was a restaurant in Detroit. So, in honor of my late Grandmother and the late restaurant here is the recipe.

I did change this recipe a little bit. I added shredded carrots. I did this for one reason. My husband Robert's favorite macaroni salad in the entire world is his mother's macaroni salad.  He won't even taste any other macaroni salad.  I don't know if this will work yet, but the carrot might make it appear to look more like his mom's macaroni salad- so he might actually try it, right?? I guess we will have to test this theory out later. :) I also took out the pimentos.  I don't really like pimentos. I have listed them in the recipe below, but I did not use them.

If I had to categorize this macaroni salad and say how it is different from other macaroni salads, I would say that it is that it has Dijon mustard in it. The Dijon gives it a little kick. It is really creamy and has that sound that only creamy macaroni salad can make when you stir it up. You know what I'm talking about.  I hope you all enjoy!

Topinka's Macaroni Salad

1 12 Oz Package of Macaroni
1 Green Pepper
1 Small Onion
1 Small Jar of Pimentos
1 Slice of American Cheese, sliced (more if desired)
3 Tbsp Mayo
1 Tbsp Dijon Mustard
1/2 Cup of Coffee Cream or Milk
Pinch of salt

Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 10 Minutes
Clean Up Time: 10 Minutes

Makes 6 to 10 Servings

1. Cook and drain Macaroni


2. Add chopped Pepper, Onions, and Pimentos. Stir.





3. Stir in Mayo



4. Stir in Mustard and salt



5. Add Cream or Milk.
The more cream or milk, the creamier it will be.



6.  (Not in the Original Recipe) I added shredded carrot








7. Chill for several hours. Add cheese before serving


I hope that you all really enjoy this. I really would love to hear what you all like to add to your macaroni salad to make it your own. I would like to add all of the different variations to this post and hopefully create a long list of how everyone personalizes their own salad. I hope that you all have an excellent day.

One Love,

Virginia


Here is a link to that song I was talking about, Girl I left Behind :)


0 comments:

Post a Comment